Cleaning an outside air conditioner is not difficult, but the time and effort it takes will be well worth it given improved energy efficiency and comfort for your family, whether summer or winter.
If you want a professional to take care of this for you, AmeriTech Air Conditioning & Heating is here for you! Our technicians have the knowledge and expertise to quickly clean your outdoor AC unit and perform maintenance and tune-ups on your system twice a year. Contact us for AC service in Altamonte Springs, FL, and surrounding areas.
However, if you want to DIY, you’ll want to gather the following supplies together to prepare to clean your outdoor AC unit:
- Garden hose
- Shop vacuum
- Replacement filter
- Pipe cleaner or soft-bristled brush
- Fin comb
How to Clean Your Outdoor AC Unit
Here are the step-by-step instructions on how to clean your outside AC unit:
- Shut off the power to your AC unit at the breaker box.
- The wet/dry vacuum with a soft-bristled attachment can remove any dust, dirt, or other minute particles from your unit and within the fins for anything you couldn’t clear away.
- If your fins are bent, a fin comb or even a butter knife or other thin instrument may be used to straighten them back to their original alignment.
- Locate the air filter and remove it, if applicable. If you have a reusable type, spray it with a strong jet from the garden hose. Replace the filthy AC filter with a new one if it’s not reusable.
- Remove the top access panel using a screwdriver. Place it carefully to the side.
- Look at the condenser coils for dust, grime, trash, and other build-up that can affect performance. A shop vac is ideal for vacuuming away debris. After you’ve vacuumed everything away with the vacuum cleaner, rinse the leaves with the garden hose to clean any remaining particles away. When vacuuming, take care to avoid bending the delicate fins.
- In most situations, a wet rag is all that’s required to clean fan blades. Check the fan vents and vacuum or remove any debris build-up.
- You’re now ready to replace the access panel. Reattach it and turn the power back on to your machine.
Contact AmeriTech Air Conditioning & Heating to schedule a professional AC services appointment in Altamonte Springs, FL, and surrounding areas.
Duct Cleaning Services
In addition to cleaning your outdoor unit, you may want to consider duct cleaning, which can help improve your system’s efficiency, indoor air quality, and even help reduce energy costs.
There are many benefits to duct cleaning, such as:
- A cleaner home: When your ducts are clean, your home will be much cleaner. This is because the dirt and dust that was previously trapped in your ducts will now be circulating throughout your home.
- Improved air quality: Dirty ducts can cause problems with your indoor air quality, such as asthma and allergies. When your ducts are clean, you’ll be breathing much easier.
- Saved energy: Dust and dirt can build up on the coils of your air conditioner and furnace, leading to decreased efficiency. A clean system will run more smoothly and use less energy.
- Longer lifespan for your HVAC system: A clean HVAC system will last longer and run more efficiently than a dirty one.